Thursday, January 14, 2010

WFD? Meatball Subs & BBQ Chicken




This week is a short week for us in the kitchen because we're heading south to visit Nathan's family Today!  We'll be there for a long weekend, and will return next Tuesday.  

So, needless to say, I'm waiting to do grocery shopping until after we return.

I searched the pantry this weekend and tried to scrap some things together for dinner this week.


Here's what we've had:

Meatball Subs atop SnoWhite's Italian Herb Rolls 

This was a quick and easy meal for us.  I just used some frozen turkey (shhh...don't tell Nathan they weren't ground beef) meatballs, pasta sauce and provolone cheese.  I served them on SnoWhite's Italian Herb Rolls (click the link above for her recipe) and they were delicious!  Sorry, no photo.  They were so good, we scarfed them down before I even thought to take a picture. :)


Zesty Slow Cooker Barbecue Chicken--taken from AllRecipes.com 





I had Bible Study on Monday, so I needed a slow cooker meal that would be good and hot when we got home.  I followed the recipe exactly and it turned out pretty yummy!  


I calculated the recipe for 2, but you can click the link above and use the servings calculator to modify if needed.
  • 2 frozen, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
  • 12 oz. BBQ sauce (I used Kraft)
  • 2 TBSP + 2 TSP Italian dressing (again, I used Kraft)
  • 1 TBSP + 1 TSP brown sugar
  • 2 TSP Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 small can chicken broth*
All you do is place your chicken in the Crockpot, mix your other ingredients together, pour over the chicken and let the Crockpot do its magic!  I put mine on LOW for 8 hours, but you can cook on HIGH for 3-4 too.

*When I got home, the Crockpot had been on for roughly 9 hours and my chicken was a wee bit dry.  I added in 1 small can of chicken broth and cut my Crockpot off but kept the lid on.  When I got ready to serve it, the chicken had moistened up quite a bit, and tasted delicious.



I served this up with some sweet corn and mashed potatoes, and it was very filling.


Some of the members on AllRecipes also suggested shredding this chicken up and putting it on some pizza and adding pineapple to make BBQ, Pineapple Pizza (I might try that next time) OR shredding it and adding it to a baked potato for a light dinner.


And last but not least, just for fun . . . here's a picture of us shoveling ourselves out of our house last weekend.  We are ready for 50 degree weather down south!!



1 comment:

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel