Hubby has been feeling a bit under the weather, so Monday night I made one of his favorite comfort foods--Fried Chicken, Mashed Potatoes and Macaroni and Cheese. Now, I know I just posted about our goals, one of which was for me to cook healthier meals. And I'm aware that our dinner consisted of two starches and a fried food. But, I thought I'd meander around this one goal in hopes that it might make Nathan feel a little better. Besides, we used the treadmill later and didn't feel the least bit sorry for eating those delicious fried chicken parts. So there. :)
For the recipe, check this post.
To compensate for our misbehavior, I decided to cook up a low-fat option for Tuesday. This was a new recipe, and I'm happy to say that although it lacked in fat it did not skimp in flavor. It was super-fast to throw together, too!
Honey Glazed Chicken Stir Fry--adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Breast Cancer Awareness Cookbook
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 TBSP honey
- 2 TBSP vinegar
- 2 TBSP orange juice
- 1 TBSP soy sauce
- 2 TSP all-purpose flour, for thickening
- 2 c. frozen broccoli
- Cut chicken into bite sized pieces; set aside. In a small bowl, mix together honey, orange juice, vinegar, soy sauce and flour; set aside.
- Drizzle about 1 TBSP of Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a wok or skillet and heat.
- Add broccoli and cook 3 minutes. Remove broccoli from pan and set aside.
- Add more oil to pan to coat. Add in chicken and cook while stirring for 4 minutes, or until no longer pink.
- Pour sauce into wok with chicken and stir. Add in broccoli and cook until heated through and vegetables are crisp.
- Serve over white or brown rice.