Monday, January 11, 2010

Marital Monday: A man's take on haircuts and food



One of my most favorite things about married life is that there is never a dull moment! 

Although Nathan and I dated, then got engaged and now have been married for six blissful months, there is still so much that we are learning about one another.  I seriously think that’s my favorite part.  Just when you think you know each other, you learn even more.  And, in my experience, the more I learn about Nathan, the more I love him.  He is just the handsomest, sweetest, most caring man out there.  And boy, does he crack me up!

If you know Nathan, then you know he loves a bargain.  In fact, his most favorite price to pay for something is free-fifty.

Just this past week, Nathan was elated to find out that the local Super Cuts training school hosts free haircut day the first Friday of the month.

Me, being the hair control freak that I am, reminded him that a free haircut doesn’t always guarantee that it will be the best quality.  And for this hair control freak, quality trumps price every time.  You see, I frequent the same local hair studio each 4 to 6 weeks where my little Italian hair dresser knows exactly what type of shears to use on my locks and exactly how many inches I want trimmed. 

Nathan, on the other hand, made this comment about paying for a haircut.  “Paying for a haircut is like paying for water.  It’s the most frustrating thing to me to have to pay for someone to cut my hair.”

My, how men and women differ.

Nathan comes home after his free hair cut, and he is just grinning from ear to ear. 

He points out that he has a nice-sized gap in his hair where the girl cut a little too much, and that his hair looks somewhat like a bowl cut.

Then he comments, “But it felt so good to walk out of there and not pay anything.”

I had to laugh.

As if that weren’t enough, Nathan and I also got into a conversation this weekend about food (imagine that).  We were talking about foods that we dislike and like.  Here’s a snippet (no pun intended) of our conversation:

Him: You like banana cream pie?
Me: Yeah!  It’s my favorite.
Him: I didn’t know that.  But then again, there’s not a whole lot that you don’t like.
Me:  There are a few things I don’t like.
Him: Oh yeah?  Like what?
Me: Coconut
Him: Why don’t you like it?
Me: It’s the texture.
Him: Out of all the foods, the only one you don’t like is coconut?
Me: Yeah.  What do you not like?
Him: It’s probably an easier question to ask what I do like
(we both laugh)
Me: OK, well what foods do you like the most?
Him:  Hmm.  Well, I like steak, chicken, turkey, roast beef . . .
Me: Those are all meat.
Him: (very seriously) Rachel, men live off of meat.

Like I said, never a dull moment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel