Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Gratituesday: God's Gentle Reminders



It was Monday morning.  Yes, one of those Monday mornings.  I woke up a little later than I wanted to, my hair was a little more static-y than I wanted it to be and my thoughts raced.  But, I couldn't seem to get the lyrics to the song "I Will Lift My Eyes" by Bebo Norman out of my head.  Particularly the line that says, "I will lift my eyes, to the maker of the mountains I can't climb."

I didn't know why, because I hadn't heard the song in quite some time.  Disregarding why it was in my head, I hummed away while I got ready for a big Monday.

On this Monday morning, my heart and my thoughts were also being burdened for a dear friend, and I was a little nervous that God wasn't going to answer my prayers for her.  I thought it over a million times.

Then, I heard Him remind me, "Be anxious for nothing, but submit your requests to me.  You've already prayed about it Rachel, now stop worrying."

I breathed a sigh of relief.  And continued humming the song.

But then I started worrying about other things--my day, my to-do lists, my hair.

I grabbed my Bible, and with hair dryer in one hand and the Word in the other I read a few passages in Psalm 119.  Nothing really stuck out to me, although the Psalmists words were beautiful.  Then I flipped over to Psalm 121.


"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
 2My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."

Isn't God good?  In the busyness of my morning, He was trying to subtly remind me through a familiar song that I need not worry about Earthly problems or unanswered prayers, but to keep my eyes fixed on Him.  And when I wasn't "getting it," he gently nudged me to His Word, where it all became clear.

That Monday morning, I woke up feeling frantic but by the time I left my house my eyes were right where they needed to be all along.

Lord, thank you that even on days when we don't "get it," you find other ways to speak to us until we do.  Thank you for having a desire to meet with us daily.  Help me not to be worried about the things of this Earth, but to keep my eyes fixed on where my help comes from. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel