Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Are You Laughing Today?

Last week, I was reading my Bible and stumbled across Proverbs 31.  I have to admit, as much as I love this particular chapter, it also seems overwhelmingly impossible to apply to my own life at times.  Whoever this Proverbs 31 lady was, I am far from her.  She was practically perfect! 

Some of her qualities include:

  • Righteous
  • Do-gooder
  • Multi-tasker
  • Hard working
  • Morning person
  • Investor
  • Wise with her money
  • Strong (physically, mentally and emotionally)
  • She practiced stewardship
  • Not afraid of the snow (I wonder if she ever lived in Upstate NY with all these crazy drivers??)
  • Seamstress
  • Respectful
  • Honorable
  • Joyful
  • A mouth full of wisdom
  • A tongue full of kindness
I don’t about you, but my resume is hard to compete with this gal’s.

I was assured, however; as I read my commentators notes at the bottom of my chapter that we’re not expected to have all of these qualities (whew!).

My Bible’s notes read:

“Do not see her [the Proverbs 31 woman] as a model to imitate in every detail; your days are not long enough to do everything she does!  See her instead as an inspiration to be all you can be.”
After I read that, I tried to spot one quality that the Proverbs 31 lady had that I can imitate better in my daily faith walk.

Verse 25 spoke directly to me:

“She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.”
If you’re like me, you may need to take a second glance at that one.  Did it just say she laughed at the days to come?  I believe so! 

Oh my.  This is hard.  I don’t about you, but what I feel like doing when I think about the unknown future is so far from laughing.  The word worry might be a better verb to describe my actions.

So, how can I manage to laugh at the days ahead?

Interestingly enough, in the Psalms, David gives us some good advice for obtaining and maintaining our joy.

Psalm 5:11  “But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy”

Psalm 16:11  “You will fill me with joy in your presence

Psalm 21:6  “Surely you have granted him eternal blessings and made him glad with the joy of your presence

Psalm 27:6  “At his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy”

Psalm 43:4  “Then will I go to the altar of God, to God, my joy and my delight”

Psalm 45:15  “They are led in with joy and gladness; they enter the palace of the king”

Notice a pattern?

In most of these verses and in many more, David indicates that joy comes when we’ve had an experience with God.  When we’ve been in His presence, taken comfort in His refuge, sought Him, knelt before Him, etc.

I would love to have a cup overflowing with joy each day, and be able to laugh at my unknown days ahead.  The future isn’t meant for us to fear, but for us to embrace confidently with our Joy Giver.  Will you join me in entering into His presence today, asking Him to fill you up with joy?  Asking Him to take away your fears of the future and allow you to “laugh at the days ahead?”

I’ll leave you with one last Psalm:

Psalm 90:14  “Satisfy us in the morning with your unfailing love, that we may sing for joy and be glad all our days.”

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for giving us daily perspective - we are looking forward to your visit this weekend - can't wait -

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!

    Rachel Leah,
    Thank you for allowing God to lay that on your heart. I definitely can relate, particularly right now, and thanks for sharing. What a blessing I have received this morning.

    As Granny Martin would say, "Ay-Men"!

    Love you and thanks for all the prayers :)
    Christy

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel