Wednesday, January 13, 2010

20/10 Challenge


Photo from: www.browncroft.org

I love a challenge!  And although the New Year has already begun, this is a challenge I got excited about starting and wanted to share.

 The church where I attend Monday night ladies Bible study introduced this, and I am officially on board!  To read more about the 20/10 challenge, click here.

Basically, it's a 3-part challenge:
  1. Read your Bible for 20 mins. per day
  2. Pray for 10 mins. per day
  3. Spend 60 mins. per week pursuing your calling to bring the Kingdom of God to another person

Since Monday night Bible study has resumed (and I couldn't be happier about it), I am so anxious to start this new challenge.  Our new Bible study is God's Story by Anne Graham Lotz (Billy Graham's daughter).  Let me tell you, she is amazing!  We're watching the videos along with walking through the study, and her excitement for learning more about God is contagious. 

Anyway. In the study, we're going through the book of Genesis using her "3-question method."  Basically, when you come across a portion of Scripture, you write down/ask yourself:
  1. What are the facts of this verse? (listing just the facts, and not paraphrasing)
  2. What does this verse mean? (pull a greater meaning from it)
  3. What does this verse mean to me? (ask yourself a question about the meaning that pertains to your specific faith walk)
An example of this is Genesis 1:2
Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the water.
Using the 3-question method with the above verse:
  1. The earth was empty and dark and the Spirit of God hovered over the water
  2. If we are saved, the Spirit hovers (dwells) in us
  3. Am I asking the Holy Spirit to comfort/guide me? 
I've found that if I use this method to study Scripture it not only allows God to speak to me so much more, but that it's super easy to accomplish the 20/10 challenge when you're breaking Scripture up like this!

Will you join me in the 20/10 challenge?

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel