Tuesday, December 29, 2009

What's for Dinner? Christmas Eve Stuffed Chicken




As promised, I wanted to post the recipe from mine and Nathan's romantic candlelight Christmas Eve dinner.  

We had: Spinach and Feta Stuffed Chicken, SnoWhite's asparagus and the hubby's favorite--mashed potatoes.  

I love, love making homemade mashed potatoes because I get to use one of my favorite kitchen gadgets--my mixer--but, Nathan got off earlier than expected on Christmas Eve so I whipped up some instant ones instead (in their defense, they were delicious).

One of my favorite cheeses besides the ever-delicious brie, is feta.  I love it on a big ole' Greek Salad, fresh pita or stuffed in chicken.  And, in my opinion, the best leafy green to enjoy with feta is spinach.  I got the idea for this dish from AllRecipes.com (click the link for their version of the recipe), but after reading a lot of mixed reviews, I decided to just mix up my own.

Here's what I did:
(Stuffing)
  • 1/4 c. bread crumbs
  • 4 oz. feta cheese
  • 1 box frozen spinach, thawed (I'm sure you could use fresh too)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 TSP fresh basil, chopped
  • 1 egg
I mixed all my stuffing ingredients together and it made sort of a thick paste mixture--perfect for stuffing!  



I realized that I had quite a bit of stuffing left, so the above amount would make a perfect stuffing for 4 chicken breasts.  I just used the extras and placed on top of our chicken since I only cooked 2 chicken breasts for us.

After the stuffing was good and mixed together, I slit my chicken breasts down the side and stretched them open and then stuffed away!


After stuffing, I wrapped 1 piece of (uncooked) thick-cut bacon around each chicken breast and secured it with a toothpick.  I also inserted another toothpick to keep the yummy stuffing from coming out of the chicken.



After they were wrapped in bacon, I basted the tops with extra virgin olive oil and placed in a baking dish and cooked for 35 minutes on 350 degrees, or until done.



Hubby let out a lot of "yums" at the dinner table, as did I.  The leafy greens, creamy feta and tender chicken wrapped in bacon was a nice combo to the flavor-full asparagus.  And, I'm sure it's not that bad for you, either.  Or at least I didn't feel bad when I was eating it.  :)  I'll definitely be making this one again.  

1 comment:

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel