Thursday, December 17, 2009

Thrifty Thursday Update, Days of Christmas & Taco Night

You may have noticed that I haven't really posted any Thrifty Thursday's since well, Thanksgiving.  It's because the hubby and I have decided to take a coupon hiatus (gasp!).  Only until January though.  We've noticed that the coupons have been on the skimpy side lately and also, we're just plum tired! :)

So, until January . . . I'll just ramble on Thursdays if that's OK.  

Tuesday night, we opened our 10th Day of Christmas surprise from Nathan's parents.  I can't tell you how much fun I'm having with this!  It's like Hanukkah, only better because there's 4 more days!  


We were so excited when we opened our surprise and saw that they had gotten us both Thermal Pajamas!  I know that might not seem very exciting, but as a former Alabamian now living in Upstate New York, I was THRILLED!  Mine are even girly and have little blueberry-looking designs on them.  


We also got . . . 



Yes!  That's a snowball maker!  I can't wait until we get a bit more snow so I can go outside and make perfect little snowballs to throw at hubby.  ;-)



As for the Atwood kitchen, we've been spicing things up this week trying out some new recipes.  We put together some nice yummy treat trays for our co-workers (Sweet Saturday is going to be LOADED with new recipes, so make sure and check back).


I also decided to switch things up a bit and have taco night last night.  I have been dying to use my Spanish dishes since we bought them on our honeymoon in Mexico, and last night was the perfect night for it.  I cooked up some beef tacos for hubby, shrimp tacos for me and made black beans, Mexican rice and served chips and salsa.  Yum, yum!  It was delicious.  I'll refrain from posting any of the recipes because well, everyone knows how to make tacos! :)



I'm so very proud of these dishes--I bargained for them . . . in Spanish!


Shrimp tacos

Beef tacos

Black Beans

Rice!



2 comments:

  1. Those dishes are beautiful, and I love the 12 Days of Christmas idea! My aunt from California is Mexican and she makes a mean spanish rice!

    1 cup rice
    2 TBS vegetable oil
    1/2 chopped onion
    2 chicken bullion cubes
    2 cups hot or boiling water
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    8oz can tomato sauce

    Place chicken bullion cubes in the hot water so they dissolve in time (mostly) before you start the rice

    Heat oil in pan, and add rice and onion. Cook on medium until rice is golden and onions are translucent.

    Add the chicken broth (you can use chicken broth if it's easier!) to the rice (will sizzle A LOT - stand back). Add tomato sauce and garlic powder - stir.

    Turn heat to low, cover, and don't peek for 20 minutes. Open and stir.

    I use medium grained white rice.

    Your rice looks fabulous, is it out of a box or did you make it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Chelsea! And your aunts rice sounds AHmazing! I'll try that next time. Mine was sooo out of a box! HA..Lipton makes those rice sides, and they have a Mexican Rice that I used. It's just orzo and peppers and some seasoning.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel