Thursday, December 31, 2009

A Prayer for 2010

I just finished reading a new book by a new author I've recently discovered.  The book is titled Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl by Lysa Terkeurst.  If you have a Christian woman in your life, I seriously recommend buying it for her.  I think I paid all of $10 for it off of Amazon, but I can honestly say that it was the best book I read in 2009.

I just finished the book, and in the last few chapters Lysa writes sort of a prayer that I thought was so beautiful that I had to share. 


Just to give you some background, prior to this paragraph, Lysa is writing about finding your purpose in life.  She writes how many people go through life thinking that fulfilling their purpose is based on the accomplishments they receive.  Fulfilling our purpose through God is hard sometimes because we may be taken out of our comfort zone, but Lysa encourages us to not resist where God is leading.

So, just for today I will live this way.  Just for today, I am making the choice to not settle.  Just for today, I will not let the subtle influences of pride and thinking I know what is best for me overshadow my desire for more of God in my life.  Today, I will believe with absolute certainty.  Today, I will obey with complete surrender.  Today, I will seek with complete abandon.  For doing this is fulfilling the purpose for which I was created . . . not to bring myself glory by some great accomplishment but to bring God glory by making Him my greatest heart's desire.
O God, let me make that choice today.  Even if it is just for a day--how I long for it to be more--but even if it is just for today, may it be completely so.  For one day completely with You is truly, truly better than a thousand elsewhere (ch. 16, pg. 195).
In the next chapter, Lysa writes about what she calls "Dangerous Prayers."  These are prayers that we don't typically think to pray, but if we choose to, can make a world of difference.  She admits (and I'm afraid I'm far too guilty of this myself) that most of her prayers in the past have been "bless me" prayers (i.e. Bless my family, Bless my ministry, Bless my work, Bless my friend, etc.).  Instead of "bless me" prayers, Lysa challenges the reader to start praying more dangerous prayers.  
After sitting with Him for a long while, listening to the gentle convictions coursing through my heart that I knew were from Him, I finally spoke out loud: "Forgive me for always praying, God, bless me.  Give me the courage to sometimes pray, God, inconvenience me . . . so that I might constantly be reminded to draw near to You.  Interrupt me, Lord.  Shake things up in me, Lord.  Reveal what's in me that's not of You, Lord.  O Lord, more than anything, I want more of You." (ch. 17 pg. 203)
Think of the changes we would see take place in our faith walk if we had the courage to pray these simple prayers every day in 2010.  And my how our outlook on success would change if we made searching hard after God our life's purpose!

Will you join me in surrendering your plans and your life to God in 2010, and asking God to inconvenience you so that you'll draw closer to Him? 

2 comments:

  1. Wow - who knows what would happen if we were really able to do that. I want more courage in my prayers this year- I think I'll read the book. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very convicting but oh so true. Thanks Goose for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel