Saturday, November 7, 2009

Sweet Saturday: The Not-So-Perfect Chocolate Cake




Tomorrow is my mom’s 50th birthday, and I had decided to devote Sweet Saturday entirely to her.  I asked her what she’d like me to make and she said her favorite . . . Chocolate Cake.  How hard can that be, right?  Wrong.


Hence, the reason why Sweet Saturday is just now being posted—this cake has been a thorn in my flesh for the past 6 hours.  I should’ve stuck with what worked and made Chocolate Truffle Cake, but I decided to venture out and try something different—Perfect Chocolate Cake.  This recipe comes from my ever-faithful All-New Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook, so I figured it was fool proof.  I was wrong.


The batter turned out perfectly, and the cakes cooked up nicely.




However, the frosting and whipped cream filling are a totally different story . . .

I did everything according to directions (or at least I thought I did), but the whipped cream and the frosting both turned out super-runny.  


I present to you . . .
The Ooey Gooey Not-So-Perfect Chocolate Cake



I’m sure tomorrow it will taste delicious (I mean, what’s not to love about a chocolate syrup type of frosting poured all over your cake?), but the presentation is ever so ugly.


I’ll refrain from posting the recipe because it was a flop, but if you should ever like to make the batter for the cakes. . .


Perfect Chocolate Cake—from the All-New Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook


Here’s what you’ll need:

  • 1 c. unsweetened cocoa
  • 2 c. boiling water
  • 1 c. butter, softened
  • 2 ½ c. sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 ¾ c. all-purpose flour
  • 2 TSP baking soda
  • ½ TSP baking powder
  • ½ TSP salt
  • 1 ½ TSP vanilla extract

Here’s how to make it:

  1. Combine cocoa and boiling water, stirring until smooth; set aside
  2. Beat butter at MED speed until creamy.  Gradually add sugar, beating 5 to 7 mins.  Add eggs 1 at a time, beating just until yellow disappears.
  3. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in a med. bowl; add to butter mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.  Beat at low until blended.  Stir in vanilla.
  4. Pour batter into 3 greased cake pans.  Bake at 350 degrees for 22 minutes or until done.

Regardless of the mishaps today, I hope my mom has a pleasant 50th Birthday tomorrow!  To my best friend, my biggest fan, my great encourager . . . I love you Mom and Happy 
Birthday!
Me and my mom :)


Now this is a good-looking chocolate cake!


Leaving for college . . . 

Me and Mom at my Bridal Shower




4 comments:

  1. cute photos! I'm sure the cake will taste wonderful tomorrow -- and that's what's important ;)

    by the way, I thought of you today when I saw an "Atwoods" shirt :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sno! :) The cake wasn't bad...my mom definitely enjoyed that it was made with LOTS of love (and grief!).

    Their making shirts after us now?!?! ;-) You'll have to tell me where to get one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cake was wonderful--as Papa Martin would say the gooier the better... I love you Goose and thanks for making my birthday so special!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, such sweet words and pics! I loved the walk down memory lane! Happy Birthday Sylvia :)

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel