Sunday, November 29, 2009

A Newlywed Thanksgiving

My apologies for neglecting the blog this week.  I had still been feeling a bit under the weather, but luckily am back up and running!  Lots of soup and sandwiches were eaten, which explains the lack of What's for Dinner's, and there wasn't a whole lot of action in the Atwood home because the Mrs. was catching up on her beauty sleep.  ;-)


I mentioned in one of my last posts about this being mine and Nathan's first Thanksgiving since we've been married.  We decided to host Thanksgiving at our  house and invite my mom and dad over for a nice late lunch. (emphasis on the word "late")


I said I wouldn't share this on the blog because I was somewhat embarrassed, but who doesn't love to read about good ole' every day life every now and then?


The bird I wrote about in a previous blog, was one I was exceptionally proud of.  I only paid $5 for it, and it was a whopper!  I think I originally wrote that it was a 25-pounder, but during Thanksgiving week I actually noticed it was only 20 pounds (still a very LARGE bird just for a 4-person dinner!).


Nathan and I woke up on Thanksgiving Day and were excited to start cooking the beast.  I read that it needed to cook for 4 1/2 hours.  I also asked around and took the advice to 1.) Purchase a Reynolds baking bag to keep the turkey nice and moist 2.) Slather the bird in some EVOO and 3.) Every couple of hours take it out and slather it down with some butter.


All of these tips were wonderful, and the bird actually came out so tender and juicy.  However, no one told us that the NECK was still INSIDE the bird!  Needless to say, the neck stayed in while cooking.  Also, we weren't prepared for how LONG it would take to cook this thing. 


My parents arrived promptly at 3, and were dying to chow down and Nathan and I skipped lunch just so we could enjoy all of the Thanksgiving yummies.  Unfortunately, when 3PM arrived, the 20-pound bird that had been cooking for 4 1/2 hours still wasn't done.  4PM arrived and it still wasn't done, 5PM arrived and you guessed it . . .it still wasn't done.  At one point, all four of us were in my tiny kitchen standing around the oven drooling and asking, "Do you think it's done yet?!?"


About 6 hours after putting it in the oven, the turkey finally came out done!  It was a great meal and we were even more thankful to be eating it.  


This is the only picture I have from the day . . .my mind must have been elsewhere because I completely forgot to snap pictures.


While the turkey was cooking, we did take the opportunity to hang some Christmas lights--more photos to come soon!


All in all, it was a great day and we definitely learned a lot of lessons for our next Thanksgiving! :)




3 comments:

  1. Look at you! You cooked a turkey!! We did too, for the first time. What an adventure. Now you have lots of leftovers! Glad to hear you're feeling better. Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Thanksgiving! Your story cracked me up and made me smile! I love you! How funny that the neck was still in - ha! But I am so proud of you both for cooking and surviving your first Thanksgiving! I know your mom and dad enjoyed being there with you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well...it sounds like everything worked out well in the end :) I have never cooked a turkey and from what I understand it is quite the undertaking. Granny told me that your daddy successfully made her rolls, so it sounds like a win win in my book!

    xoxo,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel