Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Hubby's Photo Sneak Peek + What's For Dinner?

I've mentioned several times on here how wonderful of a photo taker my man is. He's very modest, and rarely updates his Flickr site because he knows I'll brag about it. However, the other day he did update a few fall photos and instead of pasting them all on here, I thought I'd give you the link in case you might like to peruse: http://www.flickr.com/photos/natwood/

We're both super excited about a secret little photo decorating project we're working on, and when we get done I'll be sure to post pictures.

Moving on to dinner . . .


I love beef stew! Meat, potatoes, carrots, onions, celery, tomatoes . . . what’s not to love?? Pair this with some yummy, buttery cornbread and you’ll feel like you were right in the heart of the South!

Growing up, I always enjoyed when my mom cooked a big pot of beef stew. Not only was it a great meal, but it’s also a great leftover! I decided since I had a few extra potatoes sitting around from my potato soup, I’d add them in to make me and Nathan a big pot of Beef Stew this week.

Not only is this an easy recipe, but you get all these great veggies and protein too. Hence, why it’s OK to splurge and eat the cornbread. :)



Beef Stew & Cornbread (Mom’s recipe)

Here’s what you’ll need:
  • 1 to 1 ½ pound stew meat
  • 3-4 potatoes, chopped or cubed (depends on how big you like your taters!)
  • 1 can stewed tomatoes, do not drain (mom usually uses 2 cans, but Nathan’s not a big tomato eater so I cut this in half)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2-3 stalks celery, chopped
  • 4-5 carrots, chopped
  • 1 TSP Garlic, Minced
  • Salt & Pepper, to taste
  • 1 Package beef stew seasoning (or you could use beef bullion cubes or beef broth)
  • Water—enough to cover the stew mix. (You don’t need water if you use the beef broth)
Here’s how to make it:
  1. Add all ingredients to Crock Pot, and stir in Beef Stew Seasoning and Water.
  2. Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours.
  3. Add salt and pepper, if needed.
For the cornbread:

Mom always uses Jiffy Cornbread Mix, and I love it! I know you can probably make your own, but Jiffy’s is so good and buttery. Just follow the directions on the back and bake away! Unfortunately, I don’t have a cast iron skillet (I’m sure that’s a big southern rule-breaker if you’re cooking cornbread), so I had to settle for cooking it in my Pyrex dish. It still turned out tasty, but I’ve since put Cast Iron Skillet on my Christmas Wish List for Santa. ;)

5 comments:

  1. thanks for the flickr link -- love your hubby's photos -- he's very good.

    that stew looks mighty delicious too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had beef stew on Monday; so yummy. I don't use tomatoes at all, and I need to start cutting my potatoes because they take over the crock-pot! Nathan's pictures are great - Colorado is so beautiful, have you ever been with him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea Nathan Rocked at taking pics! What kind of camera does he have? He is awesome! As I was viewing his photos, I was thinking, they should definitely have these printed and framed. Beautiful! Nice to know we have a photographer in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's been awhile since I looked at the photos - there are some great pictures! I wish he could find a way to use those. Would love to come to dinner at your house - you're always coming up something yummy-looking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beef stew looks so yummy! I might have to try your recipe for next week! I love your blog!
    Laura-Frugal Newlyweds

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel