Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Gratituesday & What's For Dinner? Potato Soup (without the fuzz!)

Today, I’m playing along with the folks over at Heavenly Homemakers for what they call Gratituesday.

I have a lot to be grateful for! Here’s a short list. . .
  • I’m so grateful that there’s never a mess too big that God can’t clean up. His mercies are new every morning!
  • I’m grateful for the children that come every Sunday to our church. They are so faithful, and it thrills my heart to see them learning and growing. Some of the ones who were the most difficult in the beginning are turning into the sweetest, most attentive students! I’m also grateful that God is using us and that He sent us to New York.
  • I’m grateful for such a wonderful family and extended family. My parents and in-laws are a great encouragement and I know they pray for me and Nathan daily. I’m so thankful for their influence.
  • I’m grateful for Nathan. It is such a blessing being married to him, and he makes life so enjoyable and fun.
I’m also grateful for food! And during cold days like today, I’m especially thankful for warm food.


You may remember my potato dilemma last week. This week, I picked up a fresh bag of potatoes at the store and attempted to try the potato soup again. I chopped everything up on Sunday night and let the flavors marry in the Crock Pot in my fridge over night. The next morning, the ingredients smelled so delicious! Nathan commented that it smelled like Thanksgiving Dinner in our house on Monday. I cooked it on low all day, and we enjoyed some nice heaping bowls of soup for dinner last night.


The only thing missing . . . O’Charley’s buttery rolls! I’m going to search Online for the recipe, and hopefully I’ll add this in for next time!

I found this recipe on RecipeZaar.com , and I added a few more veggies than called for and changed a few of the ingredients.


Amy’s Potato Soup (taken from RecipeZaar.com)
For the original recipe, click here.

Here’s what you’ll need:
  • 5-6 Potatoes (I used Russet), peeled and cubed
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped (optional)
  • 2 carrots, chopped (optional)
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 cans Low-Sodium chicken broth
  • 2 TBSP parsley, chopped
  • 1 (12-oz) can evaporated milk
  • ¼ c. flour
  • 2 TBSP butter
  • 2 c. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Here’s how to make it:
  1. Place everything in Crock Pot except for Milk and Flour (I also only put in about half of the cheese)
  2. Cook on LOW for 7-8 hours.
  3. 30 minutes before serving, mix flour and milk together and add to Crock Pot.
  4. Add in the rest of the cheese mixture, or serve topped with cheese. You can also serve topped with fresh chives and bacon bits.

1 comment:

  1. ...I am sure your Potato Soup leftovers will not turn out like mine. I'm going to go ahead and guess that it was all of the cream cheese I put in it, ha. I think I'll swap your recipe for the one I had. :)

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel