Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Food for Thought + What's For Dinner?

I know I've shared before about my Monday night ladies Bible study.  Right now, we're studying through Stormie Omartian's The Power of a Praying Woman Bible study.  I can't believe we're already on week 5!  I am loving this series so much, that I thought I'd share what we've been learning . . . 

The past two weeks have spoken to me the most--Praying to Put my Life in Right Order and Praying to Surrender Control of My Life to God.  

As a woman and wife, giving up control of my "orderly" life can be quite hard sometimes because I try to keep things together around the Atwood house (domestically, that is).  When I lose order, I get frazzled and then rush to get things done so that I can put things back in proper order (according to my standards).  But what about God's standards?  Am I spending time in prayer with Him before worrying about all the things I want to get done?  Am I making time for Him before all else?  Am I surrendering my thoughts, words and motives to Him daily so that I can have order?  All of these are questions that have been brought up in the past two weeks of the study, and boy has it been rough answering them honestly!

One of the things I like most about the study is that it is jammed packed with Scripture.  I'll leave you with a couple of truths . . . they've been helping me get my life back in proper order and making it easier to surrender to God.
  • In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths--Proverbs 3:6 ("When we insist on being in control of our own lives rather than submitting to God, we become easy targets for Satan."--Stormie Omartian)
  • But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added to you--Matthew 6:33 ("Putting my life in right order means obeying God and putting Him first."--Stormie Omartian)
Now that I've given you some food for thought, I'll share what we had for dinner in the Atwood home last night so you can get some ideas for food for your belly! :)
Last night, I tried a new recipe I received from Pillsbury.com.  By the way, if you haven't signed up to receive their newsletter, you should!  They send out dozens of recipes and you can even get coupons too.


I tried the Individual Chicken Pot Pie recipe, and added a few things to jazz it up.  Since I don't have ramekins (yet), I made one big pot pie.  It still turned out great, and was super easy to make up.

Pillsbury Chicken Pot Pie--click here for the original recipe





Here's what you'll need:
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or turkey), cubed and cooked
  • 1 bag of frozen mixed veggies
  • 1 (10.5) ounce can of reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • onion flakes, dash
  • garlic powder, to taste
  • 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
  • Black pepper, dash
  • 1/4 c. butter
  • 3/4 c. milk
  • 1 can of Pillsbury Flaky Layers biscuits (I got the 5-biscuit can)
Here's how to make it:
  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees
  2. In skillet, melt butter and stir in flour and pepper.  Cook about 1 minute, stirring constantly until smooth and bubbly. 
  3. Gradually stir in broth and milk; cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly.
  4. Add cooked chicken cubes, onion, garlic and veggies.  Cook until chicken is no longer pink. (At this point, I added a bit more milk because mine was looking pretty thick.)
  5. Spoon mixture into round casserole dish
  6. Open biscuits and flatten them out with your hand.  Use a knife to cut "X" shapes in them so that air can breath through while cooking.  Place flattened biscuits on top of chicken mixture, and brush biscuit tops with additional milk.
  7. Bake 20-22 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel