Tuesday, October 13, 2009

What's For Dinner? Meatball Soup


It's been a wee bit chilly in Upstate NY this week, so I decided to cook a nice big pot of Meatball Soup. This recipe is one I've made before and love. It's super easy, and there's no need for the Crockpot because it only takes about 30 minutes to throw together. This recipe is in my Better Homes & Gardens Breast Cancer Special Edition Cookbook.



Here's What You'll Need:
  • 1 beaten egg white
  • 1/2 c. soft bread crumbs
  • 1/4 c. chopped onion
  • 1/8 TSP Garlic Powder
  • 1/8 TSP Black Pepper
  • 8 ounces lean ground beef (I'm sure it would be just as tasty with chicken or turkey too)
  • 3 1/2 c. reduced-sodium beef broth
  • 1 can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs, undrained
  • 1-15 oz. can of garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 c. sliced fresh mushrooms (I omitted these because the hubby doesn't like mushrooms)
  • 1/2 c. water
  • 1/2 c. dried small bow tie pasta (I used Penne because that's what I had on hand, and I used about 3 cups because I like a lot of pasta--I ended up adding a bit more broth and water to make it more soupy)
  • 1/2 of a 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained (I just used the whole 10 ounces)
Here's how to make it:
  1. In a medium bowl, combine egg white, bread crumbs, onion, garlic powder, and pepper. Add ground beef, mix well. Shape meat mixture into 36 3/4-inch meatballs.
  2. Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray. Cook meatballs on medium heat about 8 minutes until done, turning occasionally. Set aside.
  3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan stir together broth, tomatoes, garbanzo beans, mushrooms and water. Bring to boiling; add pasta. Bring to boil again; reduce heat and simmer 10-12 minutes covered until pasta is tender. Stir in meatballs and spinach. Cook for 1-2 minutes more or until frozen spinach is heated through.

2 comments:

  1. What a delicious looking soup! I've bookmarked this one :)

    It was a chilly weekend -- my SIL got married near Rochester this weekend... OUTSIDE! It was beautiful, but I was so cold in my dress. Brrr....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you should've stopped by! :) haha.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel