I am loving my Crockpot! Since it's been a bit chilly out this week I decided to make up a nice big batch of Cajun Bean Soup. My mom made this when I lived at home, and I always enjoyed it on a nice chilly day. I mixed it all up the night before and let it sit overnight in the fridge. Then, I cooked it on low for about 8 hours all day and it was ready when I got home from work.
Here's what you'll need:
- 1 bag of 15 bean soup mix (you find this where all of the bagged beans are in the grocery store)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. Ground Beef (or turkey, chicken, or Mild Italian Sausage)
- 1 can tomatoes, diced (I just used 2 fresh tomatoes because that's what I had on hand)
- 2 quarts of water
Here's how to make it:
- Brown meat, onion and garlic in skillet until cooked through. Drain.
- Pour 2 quarts water in your Crockpot and add tomatoes, beans and Cajun seasoning (this packet should come in your 15 bean soup mix)
- Add meat mixture. Stir.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.