Tuesday, October 6, 2009

What's For Dinner? Cajun Bean Soup


I am loving my Crockpot! Since it's been a bit chilly out this week I decided to make up a nice big batch of Cajun Bean Soup. My mom made this when I lived at home, and I always enjoyed it on a nice chilly day. I mixed it all up the night before and let it sit overnight in the fridge. Then, I cooked it on low for about 8 hours all day and it was ready when I got home from work.


Here's what you'll need:
  • 1 bag of 15 bean soup mix (you find this where all of the bagged beans are in the grocery store)
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 lb. Ground Beef (or turkey, chicken, or Mild Italian Sausage)
  • 1 can tomatoes, diced (I just used 2 fresh tomatoes because that's what I had on hand)
  • 2 quarts of water
Here's how to make it:
  1. Brown meat, onion and garlic in skillet until cooked through. Drain.
  2. Pour 2 quarts water in your Crockpot and add tomatoes, beans and Cajun seasoning (this packet should come in your 15 bean soup mix)
  3. Add meat mixture. Stir.
  4. Cook on low for 8 hours.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel,
    Do you soak the beans before you mix everything together in the crockpot? I've read that the acid from the tomatoes can stop the beans from softening. I purchased everything to make this last night but I don't want to mess it up! :)
    Thanks!
    Kristina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kristina - I don't remember soaking them. It's actually the recipe right on the back of the 15 Bean Soup Mix bag. I think you just throw everything in the Crock Pot and go! :)

      Delete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel