Saturday, October 24, 2009

Sweet Saturday: Preparing for a Crowd



I am so excited about this week's Sweet Saturday. It's actually both sweet and savory! (What's not to love?!)

Most of our church is running around this weekend in preparation for Family Reunion Sunday tomorrow. During the month of October, we've been having Family Emphasis month--giving away family Bibles, teaching on how important family is and learning about what it means to be part of the most important family.

Just a side note about how frustrating the enemy can be when he knows good things are about to happen . . .

Wednesday night at Bible Study, our piano player was out with her two sick children, our organ player (my mom) was out sick, another family was out because their daughter was in a terrible car accident, another family was out because there was death in their family, and a church member who was present was in horrible pain due to a mishap at the dentist office. Did I mention we're a small missions church, and that our largest attendance has been about 70 people? Needless to say, more than half of our congregation was out due to hardships that have unexpectedly taken place within the past week. Nevertheless, we sang (A cappella) and lifted up lots of prayers for our church. The enemy will not get the victory over our Family Reunion Sunday. Will you pray with me today that God will give peace to those hurting and healing to those sick? We would love for everyone to be present tomorrow.

Now, back to Sweet Saturday . . .

Each time our church plans to have a big lunch after service, we leave a sign-up sheet for people to put down what items they'd like to bring. The church provides the meat, so the ladies usually get together and make the sides and desserts. This time around, I signed up to bring vegetable dishes and desserts, so I thought I'd share with you what I'm making in case you have a potluck, church dinner or party coming up soon.

This first recipe is called Macaroni and Corn Casserole. My dear friend Vicky gave me the recipe, which she got from someone at her work (don't you just love "networking" a great recipe??). I've doubled the recipe, but it can also be halved and placed in a smaller dish for two!

I don't have a picture this time. I'll be cooking it in the morning before church.

Here's what you'll need:
  • 2 c. Shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • 2 sticks butter (melted)
  • 2 c. Elbow Noodles (I'm using shells, because that's what I had on hand)
  • 2 cans cream corn
  • 2 cans whole kernel corn, do not drain.
Here's how to make it:
  1. Mix all ingredients together and place in casserole dish
  2. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes

The dessert I chose to make is one I've made before. If you love a good cookie, you'll want to hang on to this one. It comes from my All-New Ultimate Southern Living Cookbook. If you're allergic to nuts, no need to worry! I'm not a big nut fan, and I left them out the first time and they tasted delicious.

Supreme Chocolate Chip Cookies


Here's what you'll need:
  • 1/2 c. shortening
  • 1/2 c. butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 (3.4-ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate morsels
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
  • 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking oats

Here's how to make it:

  1. Beat shortening and butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until mixture is creamy; gradually add sugars, beating well. Add eggs, beating until blended. Add pudding mix and vanilla; beat until blended.
  2. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating until blended. Stir in morsels, pecans, and oats.
  3. Shape dough into 1 1/2-inch balls; place on lightly greased baking sheets, and press to 1-inch thickness.
  4. Bake at 375° for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove cookies to wire racks to cool.


I also decided to make Broccoli Cheese Cornbread. This is my beloved Granny Martin's recipe, and it has always been one of my favorites. She serves this up with soups, and it's delicious! I figured if we were having Family Reunion Sunday, I couldn't go without making a recipe from my own family.


Here's what you'll need:
  • 1 stick butter
  • 2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
  • 1 package Jiffy Corn Bread Mix
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 (10 oz) package of frozen broccoli, chopped
Here's how to make it:
  1. Melt butter in 13 inch dish
  2. Combine other ingredients in bowl and mix until creamy
  3. Pour into dish with butter
  4. Cook until brown on top in a 350 degree oven
In honor of my new family (and for those who might not like broccoli and cheese in their bread), I've also decided to make up a batch of Aunt Gracie's Easy Yeast Rolls. This recipe comes from Nathan's side of the family, and I've made it several times. This is the easiest recipe for rolls. Hands down. And they're delicious! The recipe makes a lot of rolls, but you can always hang on to the dough and save for another time if you need to. I'll be making all of them since our crowd will be a bit bigger.

Again, no picture of this one :( I'll be making these fresh in the morning!

Here's what you'll need:
  • 4 c. self-rising flour
  • 2 c. hot water
  • 1 stick melted butter
  • 1/4 c. sugar
  • 1 TBSP yeast
  • 1 egg
Here's how to make it:
  1. Mix flour and sugar.
  2. Stir yeast into the hot water and then pour into dry ingredients
  3. Add egg and butter.
  4. Stir well.
  5. Place into greased muffin tins.
  6. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 mins
Hope everyone is having a very sweet Saturday!


2 comments:

  1. You are one busy girl! I do hope everyone in your church makes it tomorrow, and that they are all well!

    Do you cook the pasta before baking? That always throws me off in recipes because sometimes it doesn't specify.

    Everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Chelsea! And everyone made it today! :) God is good!

    No, you leave the pasta uncooked. It turned out delicious.

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel