Monday, October 19, 2009

Marital Monday: Patsy + Peter


I’ve mentioned several times that I’m involved in a Ladies Bible Study at a local church. I’ve been with the group since the summer where we learned how to love difficult people, then we moved in to a mini series on Trusting God, and most recently we started a new series on The Power of a Praying Woman, by Stormie Omartian. So . . .what does this have to do with Marital Monday?? Stick with me.

If there has ever been a study I’ve needed, it’s the current one. So oftentimes I find myself “stuck” in my prayer life. I have the same list of requests that I need to pray for, and I end up spending most of my time asking instead of listening, which I’ve discovered that the listening part is almost as (if not more) important as the asking.

If you’ll bear with me for a minute I’d love to share with you the amazing things God is teaching me about this two-way communication between Father and daughter; especially how it concerns marriage.

1. More times than none, it’s us that needs the prayer and not someone else.

This was a humbling lesson. I’m going to be quite honest, and don’t worry, Nathan is fully aware of what I’m about to disclose. I am discovering more and more each day that I am married to a true Peter. No, not rabbit, disciple. Just like Peter, Nathan loves God but he is also impulsive. If I had to guess, I’d say Peter was of Irish decent, just like my cute red-headed man. His passion raged, his spontaneity soared and he never backed down (except for that one time with the rooster).

I’ve always kind of viewed Peter in a more negative light than some of the other more “meek” disciples like John, but our pastor recently preached on him one night and made me aware of just how great of a disciple he truly was. My pastor commented that it’s always good to have “Peter’s” in the church, because they’re so passionate and impulsive and they’re the ones who usually get things done. I have to agree with his statement being that in my own life, I could be called Pushover or Passive Patsy.

Yes, Passive Patsy marries Passionate Peter and the end result is a lot of learning and growing!!

Mind you, Nathan and I have only been married for a brief, yet blissful, 3 months. But I didn’t just discover this since married life. I knew he was a Peter even before I agreed to marry him. So how did Passive Patsy end up with Passionate Peter, and how in the world are they making it work?!?!

LOTS (and lots) of prayer! This is what brings me back to my lessons learned on two-way communication. You see, a while back I really started praying that God would work in Nathan’s life and change him (us ladies never need changing, right?). I wanted him to be Passive Peter that way we’d get along a bit better. It sounded like a great idea at the time, but after a few weeks of praying I noticed Passionate Peter became even more passionate. My prayers weren’t working. Or were they? I began asking God how I should pray, and it was then I began the listening portion of prayer. You know the verse about removing the log from your own eye before pointing out the speck in your brother’s? Ohhhh yeah!

As soon as I started to pray for Passive Patsy’s attitude to change towards Passionate Peter, I noticed being passionate was actually a great quality that Peter (I mean, Nathan) had and I lacked.

I began praying that God would change me so that I could love my Passionate Peter better. It’s funny how when you start praying for something that’s in God’s will, He’s never slow to answer. However, when I was praying for God to change Nathan, my prayers hit the ceiling and bounced back. Why? Because I was praying for God to change something in Nathan that God himself put there.

Now, with God’s help, I’ve been able to see that even Passive Patsy could stand to have a little bit of Peter’s qualities. Why am I always so afraid to be bold in my faith? Why am I always tempted to back down? Why do I constantly feel like I have to please? It’s because God is still doing a mighty work in this Passive Patsy.

God, may I understand others more. May I see them how You see them and not with my own eyes. Turn this Passive Patsy into Prayerful Patsy as I move into a closer relationship with You. Help me to listen and not always ask, and to examine my own heart before I judge another.

4 comments:

  1. I found that book to be the most helpful book I own. I keep an index card at the prayer and pray one a day for hubby. It gave me so many new ideas on what to pray for that I would have never thought of. I'm still learning to pray and listen (especially listen)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant the book, The Power of a Praying Wife. I love The Power of a Praying Woman also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel,
    That was beautiful. Thank you for sharing and I really needed to read that today :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to check that book out--we're actually just going through her Bible Study Book, so I've never read the book that goes along with it.

    Christy--so glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel