Friday, September 4, 2009

What's For Dinner? Weekend Edition!, First Friday and Belated Photos

As you can obviously tell, I updated our photo on the blog. Nathan wasn't a fan of his sideways profile, and asked me to change it. This photo is from our honeymoon in Cancun. Just mentioning it makes me want to go back. Now. :)

I know I promised meatloaf pics last night, but I was busy bustling around getting things ready and it completely slipped through. My apologies! I have plenty of recipe pics tonight though! And . . . I am happy to announce that . . . (drum roll) I finally mastered my Granny Martin's Peanut Butter Cookies!!!! This thrills me to no end, as you may remember my last baking fiasco with the cookies. I didn't do the "fork press" (for those of you who make PB cookies a lot, you may know what I'm referring to) because my Granny is convinced that they now taste even better than the old ones. I don't think that's humanly possible, but nevertheless--they were delicious and Nathan and I have munching on them all week long. The recipe and photos will be posted tomorrow for a new edition I'm calling "Sweet Saturday," so check back!

Tonight I cooked Nathan's favorite and possibly the easiest meal I make--burritos. If you love Chipotle, Moe's or Qdoba then you will love this cheap and easy alternative! I'm almost ashamed to call this "cooking" because it's seriously so easy.

Easiest Homemade Burritos (recipe by: Yours Truly)

Here's what you'll need:

  • 1 Bag of Tyson Seasoned Beef or Chicken Strips (frozen food section)
  • 1 Box Minute White Rice
  • 1-2 TBSP Fresh Cilantro
  • 1 Package Mission Tortilla Shells (Large)
  • Mexican-Style Cheese (Shredded)
  • Lettuce, Tomato, Onion, Peppers (any topping you like on burritos)
  • Butter (optional)
Here's how to make it:

  1. Cook rice according to directions. After rice is cooked, stir in cilantro.
  2. Meanwhile, cook Tyson Beef (or chicken) strips according to directions. If you like, add in onion and bell pepper to beef strips for extra flavor.
  3. If you like your tortilla cooked a little: place a little butter between each shell and wrap in aluminum foil. Place in 350 degree oven and bake for 10-15 minutes. This makes the shells buttery and warm!
  4. Place steak or chicken in shell with rice, add topping(s) of choice.
Enjoy!


This was our Cheez-It Chicken from a few nights back . . .

And this was our DELICIOUS Ina Garten Meatloaf (the picture does not do it justice)

Nathan and I just returned from our fun date night in the city. Every First Friday, the City of Rochester opens up its doors and art shops, restaurants, music shops and more and invites the neighborhood in to see the fascinating things people in our community are putting together. Nathan and I went to Image City Photography Gallery (Nathan loves photography and is extremely talented--he'll probably kill me for posting this. He's also super modest!) and Baobab Cultural Center tonight. We saw a lot of great local art, and also stopped off at SPOT coffee house before coming home. SPOT used to be an old car dealership, and the coffee shop has still kept the whole industrial feel. It's a neat little place to grab some Joe! Of course, we love chai and it's delicious there.

Chai Love :)

Wishing everyone a Happy Labor Day Weekend!

Love,
The Atwoods

2 comments:

  1. Awesome!! Did I mention that my hubby grew up just E of Rochester? Small world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really?!? No, you didn't mention it! Where at E of Rochester? We're in Fairport!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel