Monday, September 14, 2009

What's For Dinner? Chili

Nathan's been giving me a hard time about "pushing" fall to get to Upstate New York. It's not quite here yet, but boy do I want it to be! Something about fall always gets me in the mood for a nice big pot of stew/soup/chili, and thanks to my new blogging friend, SnoWhite, I have a new favorite chili recipe! She posted "Lucy's Chili" not too long ago, and when I saw all the wonderful veggies in it, I immediately wrote down the recipe and stocked it away.

Unfortunately, I didn't have all the veggies that SnoWhite & Lucy's recipe called for, so I made a few substitutions. Here's what I came away with, and it tasted so YUMMY! Nathan even sent me a message at work today saying how much he enjoyed it for lunch (I wonder if he realized just how many different veggies were in there?? sshhh . . . what he doesn't know won't hurt him!)

Thank you SnoWhite for posting this--it's sure to keep our belly's full during the cold winter months!


Here's what you'll need: (These are my substitutions, but for the full recipe, click here.)
  • 1 lb ground beef (or turkey or chicken)
  • 1 squash, chopped (I had squash on hand, so I threw this in)
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped (we love celery, so I added this in)
  • 2 stalks of fresh corn, off the cob (I love corn in chili!)
  • 4 carrots (mine were small, so I double Sno's recipe)
  • 1 pkg. Chili Seasoning (I didn't have chili powder, so I used this and doctored it up a bit)
  • 1 can diced tomatoes (not drained--Nathan's not a big tomato fan, so I just used 1 can)
  • A dash of Tabasco
  • A dash of Red Pepper Flakes
  • 2 cans of chili beans
  • 1 med. onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 med. zucchini
  • 2 TBSP ketchup
  • 1 TBSP brown sugar
  • 1/4 TSP salt
  • 1/4 TSP pepper
Here's how to make it:
  1. I took SnoWhite's recommendation, and browned my meat, onion and garlic in pan on the stove.
  2. After it's cooked, drain.
  3. In a large stock pot, cook veggies until tender.
  4. Add tomato and meat mixture to stock pot and heat through.
  5. Transfer to crock pot and add beans, ketchup, sugar and spices.
  6. I put my crock pot in the fridge over night so the flavors would marry, and then I took it out in the morning before work, set it on low and cooked all day until I got home.
***Helpful Tip from the Mother-In-Law: Buy Reynolds Crock-Pot Liners (found in the grocery store on the isle with the sandwich bags). This is so nice! There is no nasty clean-up, and your crock pot stays so nice and shiny!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel