Wednesday, September 23, 2009

What's For Dinner? Chicken-N-Dumplins

No, I didn't leave the "G" off of Dumplins :) That's just how we say it down south.

One of the things I loved most about this time of year when I lived down south was that my mom would make Chicken-N-Dumplins. Hers have always been my favorite, and now that I live in a cooler climate, I can make them (almost) year-round! She was kind enough to give me the recipe, and I made them last night while Nathan was at work, so we'd have something quick for tonight's dinner. They are so easy and the smell was so nostalgic that it made me miss home more than usual.

I hope you enjoy this southern comfort food as much as I did.


Here's what you'll need:
  • 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (depends on how chicken-y you like yours)
  • 2 c. Jiffy biscuit mix
  • 1 can cream of celery soup
  • 16 oz. chicken broth or 1 chicken bullion cube (I used the broth, my mom uses the cube)
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 2/3 c. milk (or a little more)
Here's how to make it:
  1. Place thawed chicken breasts in stock pot, and fill with water until chicken is covered. Cover and boil about 45-50 mins until chicken is cooked.
  2. Do not drain chicken. Simply take the chicken out of the pot, and cut into bite-sized pieces. Place back into pot.
  3. Add S&P (I did about 1/2 TSP each), cream of celery soup and chicken broth. Cook on medium heat until heated (not boiling).
  4. Meanwhile, mix biscuit's according to directions--usually it's 2 cup mix with 2/3 cup milk, but I had to add more because mine were too dry. Don't stir mix too much or your dumplins will not be fluffy.
  5. Once biscuit mix is moist, use a TBSP to spoon out dumplins into stock pot.
  6. Once all dumplins are in the pot, cover with a lid and reduce to low. Cook for 15 mins, or until dumplins are cooked.

3 comments:

  1. YUM! Chicken & Dumlin's are the best!!!! We have not had those in a while - I may need to make some lately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy!

    ps - I love that song too :) They are all so good. He's done it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like it was very yummy! I am sure it was!!!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel