Thursday, September 3, 2009

Update and What's For Dinner?

So, I'm sure you're all wondering how my first couple days at the new job has gone . . . if not, I'll just amuse myself and pretend you're all wondering :) I LOVE the new job!!! The people are super friendly, and the responsibilities are great. I'm enjoying learning so many new things, and I have my own office!

(After this post, I'll probably never mention work again . . . blogging is supposed to be all fun and no work, right??-ha) ;o) I did want to give the update though.

Sooo, moving on to what's new in the Atwood home--getting ready for VACATION! You may remember my post a while back about our trip. We leave Monday for a two night camping trip in Old Forge, in the Adirondack Mountains. We are so pumped, and can't wait to vacate for a while. For those of you who don't know, I've only been camping once in my whole life, and it was only for one night, so this camping trip is sure to test my outdoor skills! We'll be pitching a tent and luckily have an electrical outlet, so I'll be taking a burner to cook (What's For Dinner? Camping Edition recipes will follow!). We plan to do a lot of hiking, maybe some water activities, and some clearing of the mind. *sigh*

You may have noticed that we haven't posted any recent "projects" that we've done around the house. That's because, for those of you who live in warmer climates, it's fall in Upstate New York (well, almost . . . ). Fall happens to be my FAVORITE season now that we live in NY, but because it's so short lived I have determined not to stay cooped inside . The foliage is amazing (I wish I could find a less cliche word, but that's all I can come up with). I'm hoping Nathan will be able to snap some photos of the color when we go camping, but I hear we might be going a few weeks too earlier. Nevertheless, there will be fall foliage pictures soon! House project pictures will be posted in the winter, you know when there's about 16 inches of snow on the ground and we're forced to coop ourselves in. :o)

On an ending note, here's what Nathan and I are having for dinner tonight. It's actually in the oven as I type, so I'll post a picture later. It's starting to smell delicious!!


--just a side note, Ina is one of my favorite cooks for the Food Network and her recipes are so yummy!

***Helpful Tip: If you don't have individual loaf tins, someone on the web site suggested using muffin tins--such a cute idea! I just used a loaf pan.

Here's what you'll need: (it looks like a lot, but again, most of this stuff you probably have)
  • 1 tablespoon good olive oil
  • 3 cups chopped yellow onions (3 onions)
  • 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
  • 2 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/3 cup canned chicken stock or broth
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 2 1/2 pounds ground chuck (81 percent lean)
  • 1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs (recommended: Progresso)
  • 2 extra-large eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 cup ketchup (recommended: Heinz)
Here's how to make it:

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. Heat Olive Oil in skillet on med-low heat. Add onions, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook 8-10 mins.
  3. Take off heat and add tomato paste, chicken broth and Worcestershire sauce (let cool for a few mins)
  4. In a bowl, combine meat, egg, bread crumbs and onion mixture with a fork
  5. Spread ketchup on top
  6. Place into tins or pan
  7. Cook 40-45 mins
Enjoy!
(picture to come later tonight after we actually eat it!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel