Saturday, September 5, 2009

Sweet Saturday: Granny Martin's Peanut Butter Cookies


I have been waiting all week to post this! As part of my new organized blogging initiative, I've decided Saturday's will be "Sweet Saturday." This is when I'll post yummy new dessert recipes that I've been bold enough to try (or in today's case, retry!).

This past week, I made a 2nd attempt at Granny Martin's Peanut Butter Cookies (for those of you who don't know, I'm privileged to be the youngest of six grandkids to Geneva Martin--the South's best cook in my humble opinion). The great news is, I managed to make them and they are almost an exact replica of the famous PB cookies she makes. I say almost, because Granny makes them with her special touch of love which is her special ingredient.

Here you go! I hope you enjoy these as much as Nathan and I have this week.


Here's what you'll need:
  • 1/2 c. Butter (melted)
  • 1/2 c. Peanut Butter (I chose JIF creamy; I think Granny Martin uses Peter Pan creamy)
  • 1/2 c. Sugar
  • 1/2 c. Brown Sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 1/4 c. All-Purpose Flour
  • 1/2 TSP. Baking Powder
  • 3/4 TSP. Baking Soda
  • 1/4 TSP. Salt
Here's how to make it: (I use my stand mixer and it makes things much easier, but you can use a regular hand mixer as well)
  1. Beat on low the Butter and Peanut Butter
  2. Slowly add your sugar and brown sugar; beat at medium speed
  3. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt
  4. Slowly add the flour mixture to your peanut butter mixture.
  5. Spoon out cookies with a melon scoop or a 1 TBSP scoop
  6. Place on greased cookie sheet, and bake for 10-12 mins in a 375 degree oven

5 comments:

  1. Yummy! I heard about your first try at making the cookies. (A little secret - I screw up the first time making something new every time!) Just sweet words about Granny & I have to say I 100% agree!! She is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - I think I am going to make these this afternoon - just in time for some Alabama Football!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, Rachel! Good job on the cookies:) I know Granny is so proud of you being quite the chef! Love you!

    xoxo,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE reading your blog - I actually thought your first pb cookies were great - I will have to try these - I can't wait to try some of your recipes - you are such a good cook - Nathan thinks he's the luckiest man ever and we agree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are delish! I even dipped some in chocolate, too! :)

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel