Saturday, September 26, 2009

Sweet Saturday: Apple Baking & Frying


Last post, I was a bit overwhelmed and up to my ears in apples. No corer and no recipes with my ingredients at hand, I started to wonder if I'd ever get myself out of the mess of apples I had created.

Alas! I found a solution to my apple dilemma. The kitchen was in shambles last night as I peeled, sliced, chopped, baked and fried (yes, fried--remember, I'm from Alabama) apples. But, the outcome was glorious.

Here are two of my new favorite recipes. P.S. Thanks for those who shared their recipes. I'm definitely going to try my hand at apple pockets and possibly make a batch of applesauce before it's all over!

Apple Bread--Courtesy of my Better Homes & Gardens Special Edition Breast Cancer Cookbook (I just remembered October is Breast Cancer Awareness month--how appropriate!)

Yummy batter


Here's what you'll need:
  • 1 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
  • 1 TSP ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 TSP baking soda
  • 1/2 TSP salt
  • 1/4 TSP baking powder
  • 1/4 TSP ground nutmeg
  • 1 beaten egg
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1 1/2 c. finely shredded, peeled apples (I used about 4-5 apples)
  • 1/4 c. cooking oil
  • 1/2 c. chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted (I omitted this--we're not really nut people)
Here's how to make it:
  1. Grease loaf pan, and set aside.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder and nutmeg. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; set aside.
  3. In another medium bowl combine egg, sugar, apples and oil. Add apple mixture to flour mixture all at once, and stir until just moistened (batter will be lumpy).
  4. Fold in nuts. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 mins.

The bread was delicious, but this last recipe I'll share was so yummy that I'm making another batch this weekend for my ladies Bible Study group on Monday night.

I found this on MixingBowl, but it's a Paul Deen Recipe. Surprisingly, she doesn't use an entire stick of butter. But, she does fry them. Oh well, you give a little and take a little, right?

Fried Apple Pies--taken from: Paula Deen

This is when my kitchen started smelling of cinnamon goodness

And this is when the cook started sampling the cinnamon goodness

My little dough circles

Filled with the apple yummy mix

Here's what you'll need:
  • 2 TBSP butter
  • 4 apples--peeled and sliced
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/2 TSP cinnamon
  • 1 TSP lemon juice (I was out, so I used 1 TSP white vinegar to substitute)
  • 1 (8 piece) refrigerated flaky biscuit dough (I used Pillsbury, and I used the 10 piece because the biscuits were smaller and I wanted snack-sized pies).
  • Water
  • Powdered Sugar
  • Oil for frying
Here's how to make it:
  1. Filling--add butter to pan and melt. Add apples, sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice. Cook over medium heat until soft (about 15 mins.). Remove from heat and let cool completely.
  2. Meanwhile, roll your biscuit dough out on a lightly floured surface and press until they form a 7-8 inch circle (if you're using the smaller ones, your circles will be like mine above).
  3. Place 2-3 TBSP of filling on each, and brush the edges with water. Fold over to make a half moon shape and seal with a fork.
  4. Pre-heat deep fryer (or electric skillet) to 350 degrees.
  5. Add pies and cook until golden brown. (They cook really fast, so be careful not to burn!)
  6. Drain on a paper towel, and immediately sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Here was my little apple treat tray

1 comment:

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel