Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Gratituesday: The Climb

Playing along with the folks over at Heavenly Homemakers today for what they call Gratituesday.

Last week, I wasn't able to post a Gratituesday, because Nathan and I were vacationing. And, I hate to keep going on and on about the Adirondack camping trip, but I have to share this, because this is what I'm grateful for today.

I don't know about you, but being in nature always makes me stand in awe of how marvelous our Creator is. It baffles me that there are some who can look around at all the beauty of the earth and still believe that it was created by any other means than an all-powerful, all-knowing, all-loving God.

Nevertheless, while we were there, Nathan and I made it a point to give God some extra praise for all that He has done. I know people hiking nearby those two days probably thought we'd fallen off of our rockers when they heard our not so harmonic and out of breath voices bellowing out songs like "Shout to the Lord" and "Just a Little Talk with Jesus."

The hiking was unlike anything I'd ever done--rocky, strenuous and straight up hill! Just to give you a little idea . . .

At times it was tempting to ask Nathan if we could just skip the view at the top and hike our way down, but there was something inside me that really wanted to see what was up there. By the time we made it to the top of Bald Mountain (after running to catch the sunset, mind you) I thought my heart was going to fall out of my chest. Then I looked up after catching my breath and realized all the sweating, heavy breathing and painful throbs were worth it. Looking out over about 40 mountaintops made me forget about the seemingly long journey it took to get there.


"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind."
--James 1:2-6

I'm grateful today that God allows us to experience rocky times, so that we may better appreciate what's on the top.

3 comments:

  1. Love the post, Rachel! Thanks for sharing the pics and the story! Love you
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, so often I just want to see the view without the work to get there. Thanks for this encouragement -- I needed this today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Rach. :) And you know right now, I needed to read that! I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel