Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Burning Brighter

Ever feel like there are those weeks where Sunday's message gets you so pumped for the upcoming week? You start off on Monday morning with a Philippians 4:13 kind of attitude, but by Wednesday you're reminding yourself "He's still working on me" and feeling a bit more inadequate than you did on Monday. And forget Friday--by the time it rolls around and you calculate all the bumps and mishaps along the way that week, you're singing some rendition of "It will be worth it all" (great old hymn, by the way if you've never heard it).


I've struggled with this more than once to put it mildly--how do I keep that spark from Sunday burning all week long? Of course, the first answer that comes to mind is to make sure I'm kindling my fire every day. But what happens when the busyness of life kicks in and God gets about 5 minutes of Bible reading and a "Thank You" prayer right before I drift off to sleep? Then I wake up to a less than brighter candle, and I stumble just a bit more that day to find my way. The next day goes a bit like the one before but maybe I'm a bit busier--God only gets about 3 minutes of Bible reading and my intentions to pray are good, but I don't follow through. The next morning my light is just a flicker and that day feels really tough to walk through. See the pattern?


I’ve learned that God's desire for us is not that we get supercharged on Sunday, and try to space it out throughout the week. His desire is that we're supercharged every day. And sometimes all it takes to give us that extra jolt of spiritual energy is just a little praise. Can we really get too busy to thank God for all He's done and to brag on Him a little? Next time you're feeling a lot like the week I described above, just insert a little praise in your day. You'll be surprised how much brighter it makes things.


Psalm 43:5 Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel