Friday, September 25, 2009

Apples, Apples, Apples

You may remember me mentioning in my last post that I was going apple picking for the first time ever! Me and a friend of mine decided to visit an apple farm near my house, and boy did I learn a lot of lessons in apple pickin'!

I thought I'd share in case any of you go for your first time. Of course, you may already know these, but if so just pretend like I'm not that ditzy.

  1. Before you go, it's good to decide what you're going to do with the apples you pick. My friend was smart enough to do this, but I was not.
  2. Before you go, make sure you have an apple corer and slicer.
  3. Before you go, decide how many pounds of apples you need for the items you're going to make.
  4. Before you go, make sure you know what other items you might need--baking supplies, canning jars, etc. (Again, my friend did this ahead of time, I did not--hence, the lessons learned!)
  5. Before you go, clean your kitchen! It's gonna' get messy when you get back. :)
Just thought these might be helpful for you first-timers. That way, you don't end up like me with 24 pounds of apples sitting in your kitchen floor, no corer, and no idea what you're going to do with them.

Here are some pictures from our adventure:

I should have probably stopped picking at this point. My huge bag was about half-full.

Lara found a ginormous apple!

The fruits of our labor--literally.

~Happy Picking~

3 comments:

  1. Yummy, Yummy! You could definitely make apple jelly with all those apples. And let's not forget apple pie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! Momma makes these things called Apple Rolls. They are like cinnamon rolls with little chunks of apples. MMMMM! Dried apples are also good on salads too! Good job, Rach! Cute pics too!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, those apple rolls sound amazing! Applesauce, apple pie, apple pockets, apple... apple... apple! hope you have fun, and hope you get an apple peeler!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel