Thursday, August 27, 2009

What's For Dinner? A new addition!

I got this idea from a girl on MixingBowl.com (my new favorite food website--you have to check it out!) I've decided that in addition to writing about my tales of being a newlywed, I also wanted to start featuring some of our favorite recipes (again, thanks to Nathan's cousin Anna--check her funny and encouraging blog out at The Tysons). However, instead of doing random posts on yummy new recipes we're trying, I thought I'd feature what we're having for dinner.


So, here's what the Atwoods are having for dinner tonight! (drum roll . . . .) Stuffed Alfredo Chicken (featured in my All-New Ultimate SouthernLiving Cookbook). :)

I made this recipe for Nathan one day when we decided to have a picnic in the park; one of our many traditions we did while dating. I was unsure if he would like it. It has chicken and sausage (all men's favorites), but it also has "healthy" elements such as spinach and tomatoes (not my man's favorite). I was surprised when Nathan devoured it, and kept bragging on the dinner for days afterward. I haven't made it since, so I thought I'd pick up the ingredients and surprise him with it tonight.

Here's what you'll need:
  • 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 8 oz. mild ground Italian sausage
  • 1 (1.25 oz) envelope Alfredo sauce mix (McCormick Creamy Garlic Alfredo Pasta Sauce Blend, if you can find it)
  • 1 c. shredded mozzarella
  • 1 c. shredded Parmesan
  • 1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
  • 1/2 c. ricotta cheese
  • 2 plum tomatoes, diced
Here's how to make it:
  1. Place chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap, and flatten to 1/4 inch using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Set aside.
  2. Cook sausage in a large skillet over med-high heat 10 mins, stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink; drain and set aside.
  3. Prepare Alfredo sauce according to directions; set aside.
  4. Combine shredded chesses.
  5. Stir together sausage, spinach, ricotta and 1/2 c. shredded chesses mixture.
  6. Spoon mixture evenly down center of each chicken breast, and roll up, jelly-roll fashion.
  7. Arrange chicken rolls, seam side down, in a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish.
  8. Pour Alfredo sauce over chicken, and sprinkle evenly with remaining shredded chesses.
  9. Bake at 350 for 50 mins-1 hour. Let stand 10 mins. Serve with sauce, and sprinkle evenly with diced tomatoes just before serving.
***A nice addition is to also cook up some egg noodles to serve alongside the chicken.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I am loving this idea! And what an awesome recipe! YUM! Must try it!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel