Thursday, August 6, 2009

VBS 2009 and a Special Request

Well, last night was our final night of VBS at our church. A great group from the Heritage FWB Church in Columbus, Ohio came up to host our 2009 VBS and we had a great turnout each night. Last Saturday, the Heritage group helped us pass out flyers, candy bags and free bottled water to festival-goers at the Sauerkraut Festival in Phelps (the town next to Clifton Springs where our church is located). We had great success and ended up passing out 1,500 bottles of water and info on our church and VBS.

Last night, we had our biggest turnout at VBS with around 35 kids and close to 20 adults! (Pastor Booth decided to do an adult Bible Study on First John during VBS so that the parents and adults would have something to do--what a great idea! Some of the bus kids parents came and we had great adult turnout each night too!) The youth pastor from Ohio really encouraged all of the kids to come to church this Sunday, so Nathan and I are hoping they listened! :)

Here is our booth at the festival

Sauerkraut Chocolate Cookies (doesn't sound that great, but they weren't too bad!)

Decorated Cabbage Heads

Craft Time! A few of our young boys at VBS

Last night--our largest turnout!

The Heritage Group--SO glad they came!!

Recently, Nathan's cousin Anna who lives in Huntsville, AL asked me to start posting recipes on my blog. I was flattered, but have to admit that most of the ones I use on Nathan are practice :) They're either renditions of recipes I find Online (you know, the kind where it looks like a good recipe but you don't have half of the ingredients so you just throw what you have in a pot and hope for the best!) or they are family recipes passed down. Luckily, Nathan is a good sport and loves to be a part of my practicing. I decided to honor Anna's request and post some recipes now and then that have been a success. This is for you, Anna! :)

Last week, I had some extra boneless chicken breasts in the freezer that I needed to use up. I am a HUGE fan of chicken stuffed with ANYTHING, so I decided to search for a stuffed chicken recipe. I didn't have much in the pantry and I was craving Italian, so I found a recipe for chicken parmesan on KraftFoods.com. I didn't have the linguine or the bread crumbs to make the coating for the chicken and I really wanted stuffed chicken. SO, I kept a few of the steps and decided to spice mine up a bit. Here's what you'll need: (If you want the Kraft version, it's in the link above)
  • 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
  • 2 TBSP Olive Oil
  • 1 Medium Yellow Onion
  • 2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
  • 1 Jar of your favorite tomato sauce (I think I used Prego Parmesan and Garlic)
  • Pasta (Your choice--I used Rotini just cause I think it's cute and curly)
  • 1 16 oz. package of frozen Broccoli
  • Mozzarella or Parmesan Cheese (shredded)
  • 2 TSP each of basil, parsley, oregano (or any Italian spice you like)
  1. First I took my fresh Italian spices and chopped them up really fine. I put them in a small bowl and added about 1 TBSP of Olive Oil and about 1/4 cup of shredded Parmesan Cheese. I stirred it all together to make a paste. This is what I used to stuff my chicken. You can use anything else you'd like--spinach, tomato, mushrooms, etc.
  2. Slice the chicken breast on the side about 1 1/2 inches (just big enough for you to put the paste in). Bring 1 TBSP Olive Oil, the garlic and onion to medium heat a skillet. After the onion and garlic are a little brown, add your chicken breasts. (TIP: I just used a skillet on the stove, but if you have an electric skillet, it would definitely prevent spills! I just didn't want to pull mine out :)
  3. Cook chicken just like the KRAFT recipe says--3 minutes on each side. After chicken has cooked, add your pasta sauce and cover (Kraft said simmer for 15 mins and that's how long I let mine cook--it turned out perfect).
  4. Cook Pasta; add broccoli to pasta and boiling water during the last 2 minutes.
  5. Sprinkle the chicken with mozzarella or parmesan cheese before serving; serve chicken over pasta.

This was quick, and super easy! It was a also a nice twist on chicken parmesan and probably a bit more healthy too since you're not breading the chicken. More to come soon! :)

My happy sampler :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Rachel! Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice twist on the chicken parmesan honey! :) So glad you guys had such a great turn out for VBS! God is so Good!!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel