Saturday, August 29, 2009

Six Flags Recap and Some Very Good News!

Well, yesterday was the day, and we survived! Nathan and I took five of our kids from church to Six Flags at Darien Lake and we had a blast! We heard a lot of "this is my first time to ride a big ride" and "wow, that was awesome!!!" comments throughout the day, so Nathan and I were so happy we could take them.

Writing all the details about the trip won't do it justice, so here are a few fun photos: (Keep in mind that it was about 60 degrees---burrrrrr)

The Group

Samuel loved the soft pretzels :)

Some of the boys on the ferris wheel

Riding the scrambler (not a good idea on my part)

Our group on the water rides
(notice the photographer and towel holder was smart enough not to get on that one!)

Josh and Caleb were so proud!

After a lot of his money spent . . . Caleb was the biggest winner!

Me and Autumn on the bumper cars

The youth directors gettin' cozy :)

Some good news that I found out about before we left for Six Flags is that I have a job! I'll be starting on Tuesday, and I am sooo excited. More than that, I'm so thankful that God watches over us. As my dad would say, "Luck didn't get me this job, God did" Amen! It's one that Nathan and I have been praying and feel really good about, so when I got the offer I had to call him at work and tell him the good news. He was so sweet to surprise me on his way home with this:


"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights" James 1:17
(this includes jobs and husbands--Thank you Nathan for always supporting me!)

As part of my new addition, I also wanted to include What's for Dinner? tonight! Because I'm pooped from our trip yesterday, Nathan and I will be having leftovers. Don't worry, I still have the recipe :)

It's lasagna, and it's just about as easy to make as popping it into the microwave (ok, maybe not that easy, but it's pretty simple!) Feel free to post what your family is having for dinner and share the recipe!

This recipe is a hodgepodge of my mom's recipe and my own. Something I might try next time is adding spinach--I'm slowly but surely sneaking things in so that Nathan will try new veggies! :)

Mini Lasagana (I call it mini because I make mine in a 8x8 baking dish--this feeds us for two meals! Ha--the joys of cooking for two!)

**Helpful tip: make ahead! Make this the night before and keep it in the fridge until you're ready to cook the next night. It allows all the flavors to "marry" and makes it extra yummy.

Here's what you'll need: (it may seem like a lot, but most of this stuff you probably already have)
  • 1 lb Ground Beef (or turkey or chicken if you want it to be a little lighter; you can also add half Italian sausage and half ground beef for a nice Italian flavor)
  • 12 oz. Cottage Cheese
  • 2 c. Parmesan & Mozzarella
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 Pack Lasagna Noodles
  • Sauce (this makes it easy; 1 jar of Prego Parmesan and Roasted Garlic--who has time to make their own sauce?!?)
  • 2 TBSP Fresh Basil
  • 2 TBSP Fresh Parsley
  • Italian Seasoning (to your liking)
  • 1/2 TSP Minced Garlic
  • 1/2 TSP Chopped Onion
Here's how to make it:
  1. Brown meat; drain. Add meat back to stove top and add dry spices, garlic and onion.
  2. Once spices are mixed with meat, add sauce and Salt and Pepper (if needed). Simmer for 6-8 mins. Remove from heat.
  3. Stir in 1 egg to the 12 oz. of cottage cheese. Set aside.
  4. Prepare your baking dish by adding a layer of your sauce to the bottom first. Then layer your lasagna like this: Noodles, Cottage Cheese, Shredded Chesses, Sauce, Noodles, Cottage Cheese . . . and so on. Repeat until your dish is full, ending with the noodles on top.
  5. Before putting your last layer of noodles on top, wet them thoroughly with cold water (this will help to prevent hardened noodles once the lasagna is cooked).
  6. Store overnight or for about 8 hours.
  7. Cook at 375 degrees for 45-50 minutes (or until cooked through).
Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. what a fun trip, despite it being so chilly! And, congrats on your job. What a blessing.

    Lasagna sounds great right about now... with that fall chill in the air.

    blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks SnoWhite! It is definitely a blessing!

    PS--I love reading your blog(s) ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your new job Rach! Yummy on the lasagna - a Granny Martin family favorite! I love that it is in a 8x8. And looks like Six Flags was fun too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you guys had fun at Six Flags!! I love the last picture of you two :)

    And I know I've told you probably a ba-zillion times... but CONGRATS on the job. I'm so incredibly happy for you and cannot wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel