Monday, August 24, 2009

LOTS of Photos, Recipes and Post-Family Visit Update

I know I haven't blogged in a few days, but Nathan and I have been busy with our first visitors to our home!

His mom, dad and sister made the visit up from Nashville last Monday and they headed out today. We had such a sweet time with them while they were here--lots of laughing, games, eating out and catching up. One of our day-cations was to a little place called Watkins Glen. It's about 45 minutes from our house, and it's a great spot to take visitors. Nathan and I have been about four times, but we never get tired of seeing all of the beautiful waterfalls and landscape. We were sad to see them leave this morning, but it was such an enjoyable week! Here are a few pictures from our day trip:


You may remember in my last blog I promised pictures from our Youth Car Wash we had last weekend. It was so rewarding seeing the kids step up to the plate and work hard for their trip. We go to Six Flags Friday!! Here are a few photos from our car wash:


First customer of the day--the church bus!

Our Group :)

Me and my mom were the sign holders all day--I've learned how to keep dry at a car wash!

Typical youth car wash--boys spraying the girls with the hose

Not too long ago, Nathan and I also had our two-month anniversary--I can't believe it's been two months, and I'm sure I'll say that every month until our one year! Right before we got married in June, Nathan and I took a little trip to Mud About You in Penfield. It's a pottery painting place, and it was something I planned as a little surprise date for Nathan and I. We wanted to create something for our house that would also celebrate our wedding date, so we ended up painting a plate. Nathan had never been to a pottery painting shop before, and we had the best time! We were the only couple in the shop that night, and we just took our time creating our plate, laughing and talking about the upcoming wedding. At our two-month mark, I realized that with all the busyness of the wedding and honeymoon, we still hadn't gone to pick up our finished product! I just went this weekend and picked up our plate and it looks so pretty in our kitchen. Here are some fun photos of us creating our plate:
(At this point in the game, we were about one week away from the big day--we were probably both so full of nerves that the plate-painting was a HUGE relief!)




A little blurry, but the finished product is much glossier!

Nathan, having a little fun with the blow dryer :)

Before Nathan's family visit, I took the liberty of finally finding a spot for the beautiful liatris that Nathan bought me several weeks ago. I decided that I would plant it out by our mailbox, along with some other flowers and greenery, so one afternoon while Nathan was at work I got my gardening gloves and shovel and started to work. Much to my dismay, the ground by our mailbox is extremely rocky, and I gave up with the shovel and did what every girl would do in my case--call Daddy! He was more than happy to bring some serious gardening tools over and he managed to dig the rocks out in half an hour and help me plant my flowers. Here are some pictures of our mailbox renovation!

Before

After (the Daylilies will grow next year, so it's a little green right now)

On an ending note, I thought I'd leave you with a few recipes that have quickly become Atwood family favorites. The first one is fried chicken, and I have to admit I was very tempted to just throw up my hands and go visit Colonel Sanders, but Nathan requested homemade and I couldn't bring myself to be deceptive. I was relieved when I found this super easy recipe in my Southern Living cookbook (thank you, Granny Martin!). You have to try this! The best part is, you can throw the chicken in the fridge before work and then come home and fry it up in about 30 minutes.

Our Best Southern Fried Chicken (Taken From: The All-New Ultimate SouthernLiving Cookbook)

Ingredients:
  • 3 Quarts Water
  • 1 TBSP salt
  • 1 whole chicken, cut up
  • 1 TSP salt
  • 1 TSP pepper
  • 1 c. all-purpose flour
  • 2 c. vegetable oil
  • 1/4 c. bacon drippings (I used shortening)
Directions:
  1. Combine water and 1 TBSP salt into large stockpot; add chicken. Cover and chill 8 hours. Drain chicken, rinse with cold water, and pat dry.
  2. Combine 1 TSP sale and pepper; sprinkle half of pepper mixture over chicken.
  3. Combine remaining pepper mixture and flour in a large zip-top freezer bag. Place two pieces of chicken in bag; seal and shake to coat evenly.
  4. Remove chicken from bag and repeat with remaining chicken; two pieces at a time.
  5. Combine oil and bacon drippings (or shortening) in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet (or electric skillet--it makes less of a mess! Heat oil and shortening to 360 degrees. Add chicken, skin side down.
  6. Cover and cook 6 minutes; uncover and cook 9 minutes.
  7. Turn chicken over. Cover and cook 6 minutes; uncover and cook 5 to 9 minutes.
  8. Drain on paper towels.

Another favorite has been the fresh New York corn!! Of course, it doesn't take a culinary genius to know how to boil corn, but it has been one of our FAVORITES this month. To jazz it up a bit (and to use some of my fresh dill) I decided to make up some dill butter to serve with it--it was a huge hit and extremely delicious!

Dill Butter

Ingredients:
  • Fresh Dill (about 1 TBSP)
  • Butter (however much you like!)
Directions:
  1. Easy, easy--put dill and butter into your food processor and mix together.
**Helpful Tip: Sometimes when I make corn, it tends to be a bit chewy. I looked up the "proper" way to boil corn and I will never do it any other way now. This is a fail-proof way to get your corn just right every time.
Taken From: About.com
  • Fill your pot with unsalted water, and bring it to a boil.
  • Add your corn and bring it to another boil.
  • As soon as the corn starts boiling, remove the pot from the heat and let it sit covered for 10 minutes.

That's it for now :) I'll post some more summer food favorites later this week! Enjoy.

Much Love,

The Atwoods


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your recipes. I can not wait to try them! Matter of fact, we may have it tonight!
    Great pictures! Love the plate!

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel