Sunday, August 16, 2009

Baking Mishaps and Car Wash Fun

I recently joked with a close friend of mine about how funny it is that when you ask God to keep you busy, He will. My grandfather always said, "Idle hands are a Devil's workshop," and I began to pray that God would keep me busy during my time off from work. Boy, has He honored that request! :)

I started my volunteer work at the local non-profit this past week and it has been so fun and rewarding. They have a huge event coming up next week, and I'm thrilled to be a part of it. I've already met some amazing people, and I'm just happy that I can help out where needed.

We also had our youth car wash on Saturday to raise money for our Six Flags trip that's coming up in a few short weeks. It hasn't been that hot in New York yet, but summer came on Saturday! We were so blessed not to have rain, and it was the hottest day we've seen yet--a great day for a FREE car wash! (Donations were welcome, of course) We had six of our smallest kids show up and help us wash cars, but they worked like 60 teenagers full of energy! We managed to raise $200 and now we are all set for Six Flags. (We even made some extra money, so of course Nathan was thrilled that we'll be able to save some--hehe)

Last night, Nathan and I had my parents over for a little date night and dinner. I made homemade fried chicken, fresh corn on the cob with dill butter, mashed potatos, mac-n-cheese and yeast rolls (*recipes to come soon*). We were STUFFED, and then we took them out for mini-golf (girls vs guys). We made a bet beforehand that if the girls won then the guys had to take us to Starbucks; if the guys won they got their favorite meal cooked any time they want. Needless to say I'll be making grilled steak burritos for Nathan soon, and my mom will be making steak for my dad. :(

I've also been doing last minute sprucing up and grocery shopping for our out-of-town guests. Nathan's mom, dad and sister are coming up for a visit and they'll be here tomorrow! We are so ready to spend some time with them! :)

For their visit, I decided to make up a little "treat tray"--complete with cookies and pumpkin bread (rumor has it that the Atwoods love pumpkin bread), and Nathan LOVES peanut butter cookies. For those of you who know my Granny Martin then you probably know that she makes the best peanut butter cookies--ever. Surprisingly, I looked through the family cookbook and her church cookbook AND asked my mom but the recipe was nowhere to be found. I started wondering if maybe Granny doesn't want anyone else having that treasured recipe! I called her up and asked if I could have it, and of course she said yes. I wrote the recipe down exactly like she said and was so excited to start baking! Nathan's mouth was watering when I told him what I was making, but it quickly stopped when I pulled the freshly baked cookies out of the oven and realized they had gone flat! Then I wondered if maybe my Granny had sabotaged the recipe. :) I managed to save eight of the cookies, but sadly the rest went to Waste Management. I called my Granny tonight and she gave me a few helpful tips, so I'm going to try it again. Once I master it, I'll be sure to post the recipe--maybe. ;o)

One of my wise professors once told me that "All writing is re-writing." I guess it's true for baking too--"All baking is re-baking."

I'll be sure to post pictures of the car wash soon!

Until then, much love . . .

The Atwoods

3 comments:

  1. Girl, you two are going to have to brush up on your putt-putt skills!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there!!! Granny has given me a few recipes that I had to try and try again! We are so lucky to have Granny & her cooking skills!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that you are gonna try re-baking! You will be soo proud of yourself when everything turns out good, just like Granny's:)
    Sounds like all is well and that makes me happy for you.

    Love you,
    Christy

    ReplyDelete

We love hearing from our readers. Thanks for stopping by to leave us a comment!
All the best,

Rachel